Wanted and unwanted forces in generators, modelling, and control
This project will provide better models and understanding of transient phenomena in generators, both electrical transients and forces due to electrical transients (faults), and mechanical instabilities.
Research activities in this project will entail the following themes:
- Synchronous, transient and sub-transient behavior from the stator and the rotor perspectives in a machine without damper bars.
- Demonstrate damping using power electronics in a smaller generator without damping bars with laminated rotor.
- Demonstrate the asynchronous start of a damperless synchronous machine by using its excitation system.
- Measure the transient torque on a salient pole synchronous machine during symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults.
- Effects of the damper bars and parallel armature circuits on torque disturbances and unbalanced forces produced by mechanical or magnetic dissymetries.